Don't like advertisements? Neither do we. Check out our Premium Membership to support GlobalTuners and get rid of the advertisements!
View page:  <  1  2  > 
Message from Calico at Thursday, 12-Nov-09 08:54:06 GMT
Dear considerate fellow GT user,

Thank you for remembering to log-out when you have finished using an online radio.

Other users may want to use a radio that you are not listening to anymore but because they see you logged on, they politely stand back and miss the opportunity to enjoy that radio you have forgotten to disengage.

There are occasions recently where (a very few) users stay on a radio for scores of hours (e.g. on Sekule, for over 60 hours when checked this morning) and when multiple users ask if they can tune, no reply is given for hours, as the Logs reveal.

Thank you for being helping making the most of finite resources,

Global Tuners Support
Message from PaulD at Thursday, 12-Nov-09 08:59:22 GMT
Good Comment, and totally agree.
/Paul D
Message from norave at Thursday, 12-Nov-09 09:49:53 GMT
That makes three of us, gentlemen. Very good point, Tim!

Sven, DK1NY
Message from SDSpike at Thursday, 12-Nov-09 23:25:26 GMT
I agree also but I'm not one to stand back and not ask to tune. :) I go by the rules and ask, if in 2 min I get no response, I tune. I expect others to do the same to me if I should not be watching the screen also, as I've had a time or 2 I've forgot about it.
Message from Calico at Friday, 13-Nov-09 09:44:18 GMT
Cheers, Paul, cheers Sven, I bet, you've only seen it happening too often !
Message from Calico at Friday, 13-Nov-09 09:46:10 GMT
Haha, Steve (SDSpike), I know you will tune, I've seen it happening! :)

On a more serious note, in addition to the first posting, is is also network resources and bandwidth issues involved here, not just poor practice.

Some of our nodes run on limited bandwidth allowance (e.g. "fair use policy" etc) and to make do, they don't run the node all the time, or they run it on Mono and/or Low Quality...their ISP contract/packet doesn't allow limitless bandwidth.

It's a pity if we don't really use a radio, to be streaming data and wasting limited bandwidth. Eventually we potentially end up with fewer nodes online, less fun for everybody and unnecessary data congestion e.g. at peak times.

Comment is meant only for some very few users, who repeatedly stay at a radio for several consecutive days.
Message from tuebschen at Friday, 13-Nov-09 17:45:24 GMT
Thank you Tim.

Bandwith is a good reason, but another reason is, that guest user cannot tune a receiver where a keyboard-sleeper hold the line.
Message from Calico at Friday, 13-Nov-09 20:26:08 GMT
Bull's eye Pat, well spotted !
Message from PaulD at Saturday, 14-Nov-09 09:34:39 GMT
Thats why the timeout should be applied like the dxt days. This will then resolve most of the hoggers as I like to put it, even tho they are not!!!

/Paul D
Message from Calico at Saturday, 14-Nov-09 09:50:05 GMT
Yes, indeed say after 2-3 hours of inactivity of some user... why do the words "use vs abuse" spring to mind ! ;)
View page:  <  1  2  > 

© 2007-2018 Ivo Smits, UCIS Internet - About GlobalTuners & Contact - Page generated in 4 ms. 0 SQL queries used.
We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. Click here for more information.