Don't like advertisements? Neither do we. Check out our Premium Membership to support GlobalTuners and get rid of the advertisements!
View page:  <  1  2  > 
Message from n8xk at Saturday, 26-Feb-11 22:28:30 GMT
Hello, Living here in North America we don't have any long wave broadcast stations.
I have tried to tune in a few stations from several European receivers with no luck, any pointers?

n8xk
Message from Calico at Sunday, 27-Feb-11 00:45:41 GMT
Hi there,

You could try "Sekule" at:
http://www.globaltuners.com/receiver/232/vk4fsgw

I have heard good LW there, it is rather in the center of Europe (+/-) too.

If Sekule is busy, you could always try Cumbria, but because it uses a loop antenna it may not be as broadband, due to its nulls.

http://www.globaltuners.com/receiver/232/vk4fsgw

Do you have any particular station in mind ? Are you into Low Band DXing maybe?

GT Support
Message from Calico at Sunday, 27-Feb-11 03:22:51 GMT
Just recorded a 2.30 minute DIGITAL transmission on 177 kHz.
LONG WAVE station is Deutschalndr. Kultur, from Germany, a p-i-o-n-e-e-r country in modern radio technology, come on UK, catch up! :)

They happened to be playing two (!) of Imelda May's songs, "Pulling the rug" and "Mayhem". Apparently DKultur is becoming the station of choice when it comes to music after 01.00 a.m. :)

Due to copyright issues, couldn't upload 100% of them.

So, here's a taster (>80 MB upload) of what modern Long Waves can sound like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK8w2R8367E

Hope you guys enjoy ;-)
Message from n8xk at Sunday, 27-Feb-11 05:00:34 GMT
Fantastic! Heard my first Long Wave broadcast stations!
I only wish I were hearing them over the air here in the US. Living in Ohio makes it tough to catch a long wave station.

Thanks Calico for the tip on which radio to use, and thanks Global Tuners and all those who allow us to tune in on there radio's.

n8xk

Message from vitesse at Sunday, 27-Feb-11 20:55:02 GMT
Impressive recording. first time I hear DRM on LW. Station seem to have good range in DRM.

As for LW in USA, it's quite possible. Albany, NY, Saint-jean HF, Vero Beach and I think pensilvania DX are able to receive LW over north america

Here a few example of it:

Europe 1 183khz over Vero Beach, florida
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtZwRRzWPjU

RMC Info 216khz over Saint-jean HF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_1APoveNAw

RTL Luxembourg over saint-jean HF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGFeeyaDBeg

Message from NM8R at Monday, 28-Feb-11 16:26:10 GMT
N8XK,

I realize you are asking about using GT receivers, but actually, direct LWBC is quite possible here in the States, even as far inland as you and I are. I am in Michigan and often can catch R. France on 162, and R. Medi on 171 at my home station. They are the regulars. Algeria often shows on 153, too, but their modulation level is so low that they can have a strong carrier but no recoverable audio. All of my tuning is done in wide BW AM mode. I listen for the enjoyment or not at all. If you get into trying to catch LWBC from your home QTH, check out the LWCA board - I post my loggings there. I use an active antenna mounted in a low noise location on my property and a TS940 which I have tried to optimize. I have a ham friend in Iowa who also is able to catch LWBC frequently, during the winter. If you carefully fine tune your setup you will likely have success. There are times copy is nearly 'armchair'. What setup do you have in Ohio?

Back to the GT radios: keep in mind that the EU RF environment is pretty brutal there at night and some of the GT radios will be a mess of intermod on LW from the huge RF levels. It's not the fault of the radio operator. I suppose only a Hammarlund SP-600 would handle it but I bet the 1st RF amp tube's grids would glow. We probably have nothing to equate that to, here, unless you live in the shadow of a big AM stick.

Calico and vitesse both know a good bit about LW in EU so read their comments closely.

NM8R
Message from Calico at Monday, 28-Feb-11 19:26:20 GMT
Personally I don't feel like I know that much about any band at all, so the more people chip in their own bit, the more we learn from one another :)
Message from vitesse at Tuesday, 01-Mar-11 00:49:26 GMT
I would add that the main difficulty in North America are the Non Directional Navigation Beacon on the LF band. I could probably receive 261khz pretty well if it was not mask by a semi-local NDB. and many frequency are often masked by DX NDB.

I have no particular knowledge about LF reception but really enjoy it :)
Message from Lanta at Friday, 04-Mar-11 13:01:03 GMT
To NM8R

Sorry I was very wrong when I did write 152 khz and not 153 khz (I'm getting old I think I have holes in my Brains like you have in cheese haha)

Algeria "Chaine 3" (Chaine means "Channel" in French) is on 153 khz and RTE Radio One from Ireland is on the same freq the use 100 KW. So when you hear English on 153 khz that its RTE Radio 1

The name of the France speaking station in Algeria is " Chaine 3 " the number 3 means that there are 2 other station but the are on MW and not on LW.

By the way if you seek at my profile click on the link there and you will see my home page. On that page you can see a list of LW Long Wave or Lange Golf that is the name in are Dutch

You see a list of Freq + TX Power , audio web streams and websites of most all LW stations only i miss some url's from Russia

73 and a good DX

Herman (Gent - Belgium)

Last edited by Lanta at Friday, 04-Mar-11 13:01:38 UTC

Last edited by Lanta at Friday, 04-Mar-11 23:01:28 UTC
Message from NM8R at Friday, 04-Mar-11 20:01:45 GMT
Lanta,

No, it's on 153.

It zerobeats at 153 here at my station. Also, 152 would not be the standard 9 Kc channel spacing. Not that there aren't some splinter channels - 177 and 183 come to mind. BTW, 183 can also be downright strong here at times.

Maybe you meant to type 252?

My info is mainly directed at N8XK to help his quest to receive LWBC here in the States.

N8XK, update me on your station and efforts.

NM8R
View page:  <  1  2  > 

© 2007-2018 Ivo Smits, UCIS Internet - About GlobalTuners & Contact - Page generated in 1 ms. 0 SQL queries used.
We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. Click here for more information.