Don't like advertisements? Neither do we. Check out our Premium Membership to support GlobalTuners and get rid of the advertisements!
View page:  <  1  2  3  > 
Message from bobdavcav at Sunday, 03-May-15 04:16:03 GMT
My node was off for several days due to a driver problem which is now resolved, but I just checked my node and not only are distant stations gone, but reception on half the locals is complete crap as well. What can I do about this?

Last edited by bobdavcav at Sunday, 03-May-15 04:16:40 UTC
Message from DudeFromVA at Sunday, 03-May-15 05:54:29 GMT
I noticed that a few Seattle locals were very static-y at first, but noticed that they came in quite clearly after a couple days. I was even able to get KKBW 104.9 and K206CJ 89.1, along with a couple other south side stations, which I hadn't previously. I think the problem is signal clarity. While signal clarity is down, signal reception is up.
Message from bobdavcav at Sunday, 03-May-15 20:11:58 GMT
I'm not sure what you mean by signal clarity and reception? My main question is how can I avoid these drastic reception changes?
Message from DudeFromVA at Monday, 04-May-15 06:36:36 GMT
Clarity is how clear a signal (ie: station) is. From pure static, to a little static, to crystal clear.

Reception is how many stations you are receiving. Previously you did only receive the Metro Seattle/Tacoma "locals" with those two Victoria, BC stations. Now, you are receiving southside Seattle stations (KKBW, KSWW, KYYO, and a few translators) due to the reduced signal clarity.

I don't know if the two are connected or not, I was just bringing it up for the tech support folks to have as much information as possible.

My guess (and it isn't a good one) is the antenna/antenna wire might have gotten moved during the reboot?
Message from Ivo at Monday, 04-May-15 10:14:34 GMT
It is indeed possible that the antenna connection is bad and may need to be moved a bit to improve the signal.

Another thing to note is the RF gain. If you set the RF gain too low, the receiver won't pick up weak signals. If it is set too high, the signal will be distorted. The default setting is 0, which is special and means automatic, but this is not always the ideal setting. Sometimes you may even receive different stations depending on the RF gain setting.
Message from DudeFromVA at Monday, 04-May-15 13:21:22 GMT
Ivo is correct, when tinkering with the RF gain, I found that the locals come in crystal clear when the RF is between 50 and 80. The more distant stations (KKBW, KSWW, KYYO) come in better when the RF is at 0. You might want to add a note about this on your receiver's information page.
Message from bobdavcav at Wednesday, 06-May-15 19:11:40 GMT
Thanks, I'll investigate this. I've had good luck at the default but also really bad luck. Also, could the rf gain and the squelch controls be redesigned? My screen reader just reads those as static text, not a dropdown or anything, so it's impossible for me to adjust.
Message from Ivo at Tuesday, 02-Jun-15 19:56:31 GMT
You should now be able to select the volume/squelch/if shift/rf gain controls, and change their values using left/right/page-up/page-down/home/end/0 keys (0 resets to the default value, which may be the center for some controls). I hope this works for you!
Message from bobdavcav at Wednesday, 03-Jun-15 01:19:01 GMT
Ok, I've been playing around with it for a while and have discovered 2 things,
1. My node is set to reset to defaults when each user leaves, but the rf gain isn't being reset.
2. I'll put a note in the users bandguide that for best results, set the rf gain to around 50%. At that setting, I've got 97.7 and 100.3, both distant stations, as well as local 101.5 in pretty clear. Listening to 100.3 now.
Message from legis225 at Wednesday, 19-Oct-16 23:07:51 GMT
How do you administratively set the RF gain? Mine is set too high.
View page:  <  1  2  3  > 

© 2007-2018 Ivo Smits, UCIS Internet - About GlobalTuners & Contact - Page generated in 3 ms. 0 SQL queries used.
We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. Click here for more information.