GlobalTuners allows you to share your radio receiver with other radio enthusiasts. Sharing your receiver is fun and grants you immediate access to the Premium membership features. The GlobalTuners software, which is developed specifically for GlobalTuners and is owned by us, is easy to setup and requires little maintenance. Our user database allows us to easily deal with abuse. We are always open to suggestions and experiments which may improve the website and software.
Before you begin, please make sure you have the necessary equipment to share a receiver. The following sections will give some information about the required hardware.
The GlobalTuners URadioServer software can run on almost any computer, including embedded platforms like the Raspberry Pi. We recommend at least an 1GHz processor, 256MB RAM and 2GB of free harddisk space.
For SDR receivers, we recommend to use a computer with an Intel Core2-series or i-series processor or similar AMD processor.
The computer system must also have appropriate connections for the receiver's control and audio connections. Most receivers require a 9-pin RS232 serial port and a soundcard with line-in connection. Some receivers (RTL2832-SDR, ICOM PCR-1500) need only a single USB connection. Please make sure you have the necessary cabling to connect the receiver to the computer.
We support a wide variety of receivers. You can find the complete list in the registration form.
- Icom PCR-100, PCR-1000, PCR-1500
- Most other Icom transceivers and receivers with a RS232 or CI-V serial interface (IC-706, R8000, etc)
- AOR AR-7030, AR-8020, AR-8600
- JRC NRD525, NRD545
- Yaesu FT-817, VR5000, FRG-9600, ...
- RTL2832 and other SDR receivers supported by the SDRSharp (SDR#) software
The GlobalTuners RadioServer software works with almost any commonly available internet connection. We have technologies in place to minimize bandwidth usage and to work around firewalls without special configuration.
If this is the first time you share this receiver, you have to register it by filling out the Share your receiver form. Upon completion of the form you can continue to the software installation.
The GlobalTuners RadioServer software can be installed on most modern operating systems. It is recommended to use a dedicated computer for the GlobalTuners server, but it is possible to run the software on a workstation as well. Our team can support you in installing the operating system and server software. Please close any other software that may take control of the receiver at least until the receiver has been activated by our team.
Installation on Windows
- Download the URadioServer software and open the installer.
- If the installer fails to start, you may have to install the Microsoft .NET Framework and try again.
- Follow the instructions provided by the installer application. The installer will ask for your GlobalTuners account credentials.
- We recommend to enable Service mode, and to let the service start automatically with windows.
- If you are sharing an RTL2832-SDR receiver, please install the appropriate drivers using Zadig as described here.
Installation on Ubuntu Linux (PC or Raspberry Pi)
- Open a terminal window
- Enter: sudo apt-get install mono-complete lame libusb-1.0-0-dev
- Enter: wget http://download.globaltuners.com/uradioserver/installer/uradioserver_linux_setup.exe
- Enter: mono uradioserver_linux_setup.exe
- Follow the instructions from the installer
- If you are sharing an RTL2832-SDR receiver, download the udev rules for RTL2832 to /etc/udev/rules.d/15-rtl-sdr.rules and then unplug and replug the USB device.
Installation on Debian Linux (PC or Raspberry Pi)
- Open a terminal window
- Depending on your configuration, use one of the following commands:
If you are running a server setup (no desktop environment) you may have to use one of the following commands to make the soundcard accessible:
- sudo apt-get install mono-complete lame libusb-1.0-0-dev
- su -c "apt-get install mono-complete lame libusb-1.0-0-dev"
If you are running a server setup (no desktop environment) you may have to use one of the following commands to make the serial port accessible:
- sudo adduser `whoami` audio
- su -c "adduser `whoami` audio"
Enter: wget http://download.globaltuners.com/uradioserver/installer/uradioserver_linux_setup.exe Enter: mono uradioserver_linux_setup.exe Follow the instructions from the installer If you are sharing an RTL2832-SDR receiver, download the udev rules for RTL2832 to /etc/udev/rules.d/15-rtl-sdr.rules and then unplug and replug the USB device.
- sudo adduser `whoami` dialout
- su -c "adduser `whoami` dialout"
Installation as an SDRSharp plugin
You can install the GlobalTuners RadioServer as an SDRSharp plugin. This will allow the RadioServer software to take control of SDRSharp and its high quality SDR algorithms, while you can still watch the spectrum display and listen to the local audio output. We have tested the software with SDRSharp versions 184.108.40.2067 and 220.127.116.114. Other versions may or may not work.
- Download the plugin for verion 18.104.22.1687 or download the plugin for version 22.214.171.1244 and extract the contents to your SDR# installation directory. Choose to overwrite Plugins.xml when asked (or manually add the plugin registration to your local configuration file).
- Start SDR#.
- Click Associate GlobalTuners node in the GlobalTuners URadioServer plugin panel and complete the wizard.
- You can now mute the audio in SDR#. Audio will still be sent to GlobalTuners.
When the software is installed correctly, you will receive an automatically generated e-mail informing you that the software has been installed. An administrator will soon complete the configuration and activate the receiver. Please make sure the computer and the software remain online until it is activated (this may take several days), or send us an e-mail informing when the system will be online if you can't keep it running 24/7.
Once the receiver is activated, your account will be upgraded to the Site operator level. This will allow you to access the administrative functions for your own receiver and includes the Premium membership benefits. You may continue reading Your receiver is online, now what? to find out how to use the administrative functions to make your receiver more interesting for others to use.
Don't hestitate to contact us if you have any questions or need assistance. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or create a support ticket.