Don't like advertisements? Neither do we. Check out our Premium Membership to support GlobalTuners and get rid of the advertisements!
View page:  <  1  2  3  > 
Message from Calico at Sunday, 02-Jan-11 07:50:00 GMT
Jim (and all good folks of course) just one possibility to consider ?

No one user ever can capture all there is out there, in every corner of the planet. Please, if you bump into something interesting, can you record and upload to YouTube for the rest of us to visit?
Don't know if you have a webcam or not, but one of many programs out there could be the free version of Debut Video Capture. I use it here without a camera even, does what it says on the tin.

Apart from catching the moment and sharing it with us all, it may also inspire some of our members to look into a new aspect of radio, or even become ham?

We have a forum with some threads for any recordings(GlobalTuners Recordings)at:
http://www.globaltuners.com/forum/thread.php?tid=419

Thanks for sharing this info, live and learn all the time.
73 es gd dx
Tim
Message from n2nxz at Sunday, 02-Jan-11 14:03:32 GMT
I have used web cam service such as ustream for radio audio in the past.
Now the advertisements have become a deterrent for most which I understand totally.
Will look in to that again.
Sharing video captures are very interesting especially for those getting into the hobby.Not only that,it is lots of fun.
You are so right about the many signals on a single band which would be difficult to capture them all.Last evening I was experimenting with WSPR program.
Seems like another great way to monitor band conditions.It is a bit more difficult for me however because my rig is of the older type which is difficult to tune as accurately as needed.No room for a drifty rig there.
I would like to thank the web tuner owner/operators for sharing these receivers with the world.They are excellent tools for many of the public.
I will browse the forums more often.The more information the better.73
Jim,N2NXZ
Message from ted707 at Sunday, 02-Jan-11 22:08:03 GMT
One easy way to share audio, if you have the upstream bandwidth of DSL or better, is to use Windows Media Encoder, and make a firewall rule in your router for it. It will take as many external connections as your computer can handle streaming to. It is technically shelved on the Microsoft site in lieu of the next generation, but can be found out there if you look around. It's free.

VLC can be used for streaming as well, but is much more fiddly to set up.

I've found that in general we tend to overestimate the number of concurrent connections we might have at any given time. If you have a DSL with 128kb upstream, then you can easily support 3 concurrent 32kb connections.

There is one other program that I have used for years, and it is good for basic no-lag audio streaming, good for tuning a remote radio. It's called "Speak Freely".

It's free and you can get it here:
http://www.speakfreely.org/

or here:

http://speak-freely.sourceforge.net/

It features a "broadcast" mode that works well for what we do with the radios.

Again, it is not a super high quality audio, but a fast one, suitable for easily tuning across a band and finding things without waiting for the radio audio to catch up to you. It's also a very light program, so you can use it, and also another higher quality streamer like WME or VLC to stream the tuned product.
Message from n2nxz at Sunday, 02-Jan-11 22:23:28 GMT
More good stuff.Thanks for links.I am a big fan of VLC.Nice and simple player.
WMP and Real players are just too much of a lot of nothing.
I run networking software here and I have to say very disappointed in my cable internet service.Just upgraded to the highest speed...but to tell you the truth,I think it is a scam.No difference seen here.Reminds me of the 3 different types of gasoline we get to choose from with no real evidence if it is really different :)
Today was spent observing WSPR vs Propnet.
Not much seen for WSPR stations and lots to see for propnet.
I am having many issues using WSPR and finally gave up.
Not crazy about the sound card setup.Hopefully a new version will solve that and make the software easier to setup like most other digi mode programs.
Anyhow,gonna take a break and watch 10M activity.
Jim,N2NXZ
Message from ted707 at Sunday, 02-Jan-11 22:35:49 GMT
The WSPR sound should be setup, then you exit the program and relaunch it with the new settings. You can see in the cmd windows that pops up first what sound devices you have and what number they are. That's the number you use in the config. There is a device number for input and one for output. They will be different.

Message from n2nxz at Sunday, 02-Jan-11 22:43:58 GMT
I did not know I had to restart the program for new setting to take place...crazy really because I can not get the audio levels correct.You mean it has to be re launched every time I move the sound input controls?I am trying to set the controls while watching the Noise db indicator.Even with the rig audio OFF it still shows a reading.I tried all sorts of methods.None of my other software has this issue.
It should be adjustable during operation in my opinion.
Jim
Message from ted707 at Sunday, 02-Jan-11 22:47:45 GMT
You have to restart it any time you make a change on the configuration. Adjusting the sound input shouldn't require that, but you will have to let it go thru an entire receive cycle to see what the change did.
Message from n2nxz at Sunday, 02-Jan-11 22:48:27 GMT
I will have to work on that a bit more.Sorry for 2 replies.Do not know what happened there.I need to spend more time with this program to familiarize myself with it.

Last edited by n2nxz at Sunday, 02-Jan-11 22:49:49 UTC
Message from n2nxz at Sunday, 02-Jan-11 22:48:28 GMT
I will have to work on that a bit more.
Message from Calico at Monday, 03-Jan-11 14:37:35 GMT
Thumbs up Tedd for Microsoft's Expression Encoder as Windows Media Encoder is now re-branded!

Compared to other programs (e.g. Debut), maybe as not fast to start recording a bit fiddly with it's settings, but once these are done, the result is great, very good resolution, after all it's a serious product by Microsoft. One will need to install Microsoft.NET Framework 4 to get it to work.

I played with it last night while doing some MW dx-ing, and made a recording of Cuba's "Radio Rebelde" on 1620 kHz using MS Expression Encoder program, uploaded to YouTube, see if you like the end result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzTF-yedZZM

Cold and snowy here in England, but must be nice and warm in Cuba, nice music too. :-)

Bottom line?
Either using this program or any other, please enhance our love for radio by sharing with us any of your radio-recordings on You Tube or similar.

Thanks and 73
Tim
View page:  <  1  2  3  > 

© 2007-2018 Ivo Smits, UCIS Internet - About GlobalTuners & Contact - Page generated in 3 ms. 0 SQL queries used.
We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. Click here for more information.