Don't like advertisements? Neither do we. Check out our Premium Membership to support GlobalTuners and get rid of the advertisements!
View page:  <  1  2  > 
Message from yvesvdd at Thursday, 30-May-13 09:54:51 GMT
Hello everyone

Today I release the first version of the RTL-SDR Server for Globaltuners.

All information can be found in my detailed how-to:
http://yvesvdd.globaltuners.com/rtl/

Features:

-direct and instant tuning
-modes: WFM / NFM / AM / USB
-bandwidth is 120khz for WFM, 12khz for all other modes.

You can use this topic to discuss about problems/suggestions.
Message from Token at Sunday, 22-Dec-13 15:22:53 GMT
Are there any plans to get this running native under Windows? I have several RTL dongles here and would be glad to throw one online, however I would prefer not to have to set up a VM.

T!
Message from Ivo at Wednesday, 04-Jun-14 21:53:21 GMT
If anyone is interested: we have some experimental software to make any of the SDR hardware supported by the SDRSharp software (http://sdrsharp.com/) available on GlobalTuners. Supported hardware includes the RTL2832, SoftRock, FunCube and using plugins also Perseus hardware.

Leave a message if you're interested and I will provide the instructions for getting things up and running.
Message from finndx at Tuesday, 10-Jun-14 09:36:25 GMT
RTLSDR support for Globaltuners via SDRsharp plugin is a great idea!

I tried this procedure. With the already existing SDRsharp download (Rev: 1199) the following part of the instructions sounded mystery to me:
"optionally click the gears icon in the top bar to setup the SDR". There isn't such an icon on earlier SDRsharp versions inlcuding the latest version I already had. Neither there is Plugins.xml file to be overwritten. Plugins were defined on SDRSharp.exe.Config file on earlier SDRsharp versions.

I tried downloading a new version with that install.bat file but for some reason it didn't work on this PC. So I tried another PC for downloading the latest SDRsharp and I got it downloaded.

Now the problem is I'm getting the following error message when trying to start SDRSharp.exe:

Error loading 'SDRSharp.URadioServer.Plugin,SDRSharp.URadioServer' - Could not load file or assembly 'SDRSharp.URadioServer' or one of its dependencies.
Specified file not found

(the second line of error message is in my native language due to OS language version)

Naturally, I don't see the Globaltuners plugin on SDRsharp's left side expandable list of plugins.
Message from Ivo at Tuesday, 10-Jun-14 22:28:32 GMT
finndx: thanks for testing. The SDRSharp people are constantly changing the software, which is why the GlobalTuners plugin won't work with older versions of SDRSharp anyway, even if you modify the configuration file manually.

There was an error in the Plugins.xml file in the zip file. I've updated the zip file containing the GlobalTuners software. If you want to change the Plugins.xml file manually, the correct plugin registration line is:
<add key="GlobalTuners URadioServer" value="URadioServer.SDRSharp.Plugin,URadioServer.SDRSharp" />

Hope this works.

Ivo
Message from Ivo at Tuesday, 10-Jun-14 22:35:56 GMT
As an alternative to the SDRSharp plugin, I'm also experimenting with a RTL-SDR code based on rtl_fm (http://kmkeen.com/rtl-demod-guide/). The quality of the signal processing rtl_fm is not nearly as good as SDRSharp, but it is a lit easier on the CPU and it does not depend on external applications, so it can be included in the GT software, run in service mode, it should work on Linux and maybe even on a Raspberry Pi.

Will keep you posted.
Message from Ivo at Monday, 21-Jul-14 22:58:04 GMT
Today I've spent some time to modify the sdr-fm code to work with the GlobalTuners software. The good news is that we now have a fully integrated solution to share a Realtek based SDR receiver - control/DSP/streaming is all handled by the GT software. The bad news is that the quality of the DSP engine is not very good... I'll have a permanent test node up some time soon.

So we have roughly 4 different options to share an RTL-SDR receiver:
1. SDRSharp plugin, requires windows, can not run in service mode, high quality DSP
2. Native RTLSDR radio driver (listed as RTL-SDR (internal)), works on Windows and Linux and requires no external components, but low quality DSP
3. External rtl_fm (listed as RTL-SDR (rtl_fm), requires external rtl_fm application, low quality DSP, confirmed working on Raspberry Pi!

Now we just need some nodes to test the new software... and a DSP guru to improve the built-in SDR DSP code :-).

Ivo
Message from cw1987 at Tuesday, 22-Jul-14 08:22:35 GMT
Hi Ivo - shoot me an email and I'll gladly test the code, I've ditched the Pi idea fow now as I was running into power issues, so I'll be running the code on my Mint 17 desktop (binary compatible with Ubuntu 14.04).

craig[at][remove-this-bit]cwatson[dot]org
Message from Ivo at Tuesday, 22-Jul-14 11:42:25 GMT
Craig, that's great. I have tested the software on a Mint system (now also on Debian) and it worked just fine. You've got mail...

My RTL-SDR receiver is now online at http://www.globaltuners.com/receiver/1451

WFM works good enough, NFM seems to work as well but the audio quality is bad, I have not yet been able to test other modes.
Message from Ivo at Saturday, 21-Feb-15 20:55:56 GMT
User swl_felix is working on a ready to go firmware image for the Raspberry Pi to host a RTL SDR dongle on GT. We'll probably hear more about this soon!

So yes, it can work. You would need to install the GlobalTuners software on the Pi (following the standard instructions for Linux) and I think you'd have to install the rtl_fm tool for the actual SDR reception.
View page:  <  1  2  > 

© 2007-2018 Ivo Smits, UCIS Internet - About GlobalTuners & Contact - Page generated in 2 ms. 0 SQL queries used.
We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. Click here for more information.