Don't like advertisements? Neither do we. Check out our Premium Membership to support GlobalTuners and get rid of the advertisements!
Message from PaulD at Thursday, 09-Jul-09 17:09:42 GMT
Ok Guys and Dolls, I am looking for a solution here.
I would like to know how to make or where to get a short wave antenna for my receivers. I do not mind making them, but a solution would be great. If anyone has any ideas or can help, please let me know. Any suggestion greatly received.
Multumesc

Paul
Message from norave at Thursday, 09-Jul-09 17:21:26 GMT
Paul,

U forgot the thingy on the bottom of ţ in mulţumesc ;)

The question for the best antenna can't be answered. Ask 10 guys to get 10 different answers. But can you provide some pics of your residence? ;)

Regards,
Sven
Message from PaulD at Thursday, 09-Jul-09 17:26:35 GMT
look at ca13 9jj on googlemaps then you will find me.
Message from norave at Thursday, 09-Jul-09 18:26:55 GMT
omg!

I'd try to set up a vertical...just a fishing rod and some wire. Grounding. Done.
Message from Calico at Thursday, 09-Jul-09 21:26:23 GMT
Sven's comment regarding photo and many suggestions = very staight to the point, bull's eye ;)

Also, since you didnt comment at IRC, maybe you didn't see my description?

Paul, easy and good antenna and by coincidence called the same as your existing "skywire" is the Skywire Horizontal Loop.
This is a rectangle or whatever shape you can make it into, the longer overall the better, your 10 x 7 m is fabulous.
Get it as high up as you can, eg hang it from trees, then feed antenna to your tuner (radio) by means of ladder line. Since it will be only for RX, 350 Ohm cheap one will do.
A balun (balanced to unbalanced ) may do, althogh your radio has input for high Z antenna, (black/red clips at back of AOR7030)
However last few meters to house may be better if coaxial, for noise cage of house to be avoided, hence balun with short coax would be good.
You will be awed by the RX you can get by a 10*7 m antenna, huge capture area
Ideal loop shape = circular, but we dont live in a perfect world. Just try to cover the maximum area you can, trying to keep it away or at right angles with noise genarating sources (e.g. power lines)
Reason why I suggest loop antenna plus ladder line ? Loops are immune to noise and by feeding them with ladder line you get huge bandwidth from VLF to VHF.
Roughly imagine the loop as a wire thread hunging from supports which can be your trees or cheap fishing rods. Whole thing shouldn't cost you more than £ 5 if you use trees as support.

If you want an easy commercial solution, (i.e. large aperture loop), you may have to put aside some £ 150.Easy-peasy and Rolls Royce solution? Wellbrook ALA 1530, active antenna from VLF to 30 MHz.
Have fun building / choosing your new antenna
Tim
PS: Consider a simple version of the antenna described at URL http://n1su.com/loop.html
Message from PaulD at Friday, 10-Jul-09 07:16:14 GMT
Thanks tim for this. I will have to look into the ALA 1530 as this will be the tidiest solution.
Tim, I don't know if you remember the antenna I talked some time ago to you can't remember the name. Can you?
Message from Calico at Friday, 10-Jul-09 07:29:26 GMT
Yes, was thinking the ALA1530 is a recommended solution for the residetntial location at googled QTH, especially if other people are involved in this house (e.g. your father). It will be a discrete, but difficult to beat, broadband, quiet antenna. Ideally it could be located outside in the garden, away from noise generating sources, but if people object, it could always be hidden in the loft.
If you give me a brief description of that antenna you mention, I will try and remmember the type.

Message from vitesse at Friday, 10-Jul-09 19:28:06 GMT
Personaly I just bought an ala1530 and I'm really pleased and amazed by the reception quality. this is really great in reducing local QRM for me. The only negative point is the price. But I do think it worth it.

© 2007-2018 Ivo Smits, UCIS Internet - About GlobalTuners & Contact - Page generated in 2 ms. 0 SQL queries used.
We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. Click here for more information.