Don't like advertisements? Neither do we. Check out our Premium Membership to support GlobalTuners and get rid of the advertisements!
View page:  <  1  2  3  > 
Message from PaulD at Tuesday, 18-Aug-09 07:34:27 GMT
Hello all concerned.

We will always try our best to help the imapaired, and we do not intend to dicriminate anyone with sight issues or even being handicapped. We always welcome suggestions so we can improve.

I am interested to know if you have used the Javascript version of the tuners? If you go to the tuner you want and click it you should then see a Javascript edition. http://www.globaltuners.com/receiver/js.php?receiver=5

/paul

Last edited by PaulD at Tuesday, 18-Aug-09 07:34:59 UTC
Message from Ivo at Tuesday, 18-Aug-09 15:42:20 GMT
I agree that the 2 minute rule should apply to everybody, however I can understand that chat messages are more likely to go unnoticed when using a screenreader.

Has anybody tried to use an IRC client with screenreader? I believe mIRC even has a built in text-to-speech agent, but I don't know how well it will work together with another screenreader. The option for an IRC based interface to the receivers is still open.

Ivo
Message from PaulD at Wednesday, 19-Aug-09 06:56:22 GMT
There is the option of course which Ivo reminded me of, Most Internet explorer's have the option of zooming out and in. This works in all formats.
The commands:
Zoom out CTRL -
Zoom in CTRL +

Thanks

Paul D

Last edited by PaulD at Wednesday, 19-Aug-09 06:56:56 UTC
Message from wa6bef at Sunday, 03-Jan-10 21:50:20 GMT
Commenting on the java script, I find it emensely useful when it works. However, at least in the past, (haven't noticed recently,) I'd be unceremoniously dumped off the receiver after a short period of inactivity. Personally I tend to gravitate to the modern skin for the receivers that are always on.
Message from tkruczek at Friday, 08-Jan-10 06:25:18 GMT
I think the GT client would meet requirements for most blind users - however it needs to be updated as it no longer works.

Also, the client could be enhanced to provide a ping of sorts when someone wants to tune.

Thoughts?

Tom / tkruczek
Message from Ivo at Friday, 15-Jan-10 01:41:48 GMT
Tom, are you talking about the Desktop client?

Perhaps I could revive it, if there's any demand...

Ivo
Message from wa6bef at Sunday, 17-Jan-10 18:56:40 GMT
Speaking for myself, I don't use any of the chat clients so I'd prefer just having the window like we now do on modern skin and java scripts. In earlier modern skins I was able to use the audio controls and to see the freq. In the last several months this has not ben the case, so I've gone to the java script when possible. Haven't been very active on the system for a while though; will check to see how things go now.
Message from tkruczek at Saturday, 23-Jan-10 23:56:40 GMT
Yes, Ivo....the desktop client. Visually impaired users need a very easy to use interface with minimum fields and options. The desktop client if supported again, would meet requirements for users relying on audio software to guide them through accessing this site.

Tom
Message from borrisinabox at Tuesday, 26-Jan-10 00:32:54 GMT
I've been using the javascript version of the site almost exclusively, because it's the easiest for me, as a blind user, to access, as wel as using an IRC client for chat. However, within the past week or so, I've had issues getting audio from tuners that use Unreal Media Server. Accessing those controls for the firefox plugin or active-x control is hit and miss, and there's probably not a lot that can be done about that. However, the classic interface comes up streaming when what I am assuming is a "start audio" button (it doesn't seem to have a label on the actual control) is pressed. If there is now something similar on the javascript interface for Unreal, I can't find it. In the past, the stream started up as soon as I clicked on the "javascript interface" link for any tuner that supports it.
I've also never seen the "external media player" option work. This would make things convenient for those who use screenreaders and not using Unreal, as having a separate, easily accessible volume control or the option to route to another sound device helps a great deal when relying on speech for output. Sometimes a blast of open nfm is enough to completely disorient.
Also, the ability to quickly set squelch, perhaps with an edit box, would be great. If squelch is set to zero and I want it in the middle somewhere, currently, the only way I know to do it in the javascript interface is to just keep pressing up, which leads to a lot of pointless messages in the log as squelch is set for every step, and sometimes my screenreader is one control off, and I end up on the 0 button without realizing it, thus, I have to start over again. There also seems to be no log button as is the case on the classic interface, which I tried using, but can't seem to change frequency or VFO step on that one. Just a few thoughts.
Message from tkruczek at Friday, 29-Jan-10 11:45:31 GMT
Ivo...I just tested the desktop client and it's working perfectly on this end. Thank you very much for correcting the previous problems with it and also the enhancements you added to it as well.

The only mod I can suggest at this point is to make the cursor location on initial receiver connection land in the local chat box. I think that will help with software used to read the screen when visually impaired operators connect.

Please close this ticket.

Take care and nice work.
Tom / tkruczek
View page:  <  1  2  3  > 

© 2007-2018 Ivo Smits, UCIS Internet - About GlobalTuners & Contact - Page generated in 4 ms. 0 SQL queries used.
We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. Click here for more information.