Don't like advertisements? Neither do we. Check out our Premium Membership to support GlobalTuners and get rid of the advertisements!
View page:  <  1  2  > 
Message from Calico at Sunday, 16-Jan-11 18:18:48 GMT
Hi David!

Yes, I saw the close up support photos of the supports, you also seemed to have gorgeous weahter too when you took them!

I wouldn't worry too much about uploading short clips on YouTube of what dx can be received while legitimately receiving a broadcaster. :-)

As long as you are not *relaying* via your own means the content/stream of a station's program, it is absolutely fine.

I have also checked this in the past with two A.M. stations, one in New Zealand and a M.W. country music station in the Arizona that I received last year. The latter especially was only too happy as they regarded it a free of charge advertisement!

We would love to see what dx your Ewe can receive, when you find a minute!

Miles away from the sea here...small garden, rented accommodation in the middle of the town, the usual problems of interference, small space with trees in the way, good Samaritan neighbors etc, but if mother nature helps (skywaves), then every now and then something gets through with the PENNANT (this antenna is really shaped like a pennant)

Using fishing poles here, as they are easy to increase/decrease size as needed, and they are weather resistant, as well as cheap. Also, I am lucky that the soil is really soft to poke! Tried 4:1, 9:1 and 16:1 baluns, best results with the last one.

Pictures of the pennant, hope you can see the interesting bits. Had forgotten to take photos of my el-cheapo alligator 3-value resistor, so went out and took a photo of it later. No hi-resolution, only with a small Nokia but turned out prettty good!

http://s705.photobucket.com/albums/ww56/Calico-photos/

New York's WFAN as received here in England

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neWUg7pfI8M

Not every night is the same and poles keep on being moved here and there ;-)

Tim
Message from Calico at Sunday, 16-Jan-11 18:40:27 GMT
And the Buffalo one I had promised you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW_wZRULDqA

:)
Message from Calico at Monday, 17-Jan-11 22:25:52 GMT
David,

I was also wondering, if you may have noticed what time the MW band opens now with your Ewe, compared to your previous antenna?

Not aware of previous antenna details ?

Also, if you prefer you could always email any videos of DX you can receive from New Zealand ?

73 es gd dx
Tim
Message from db1 at Wednesday, 23-Mar-11 08:14:30 GMT
Hi again, I haven't had the ewe back up really, but I have recently mad a small ewe pointing west but today I've swapped it to east. I had the pot turned for hf so probably wasn't best for mw , but I didn't make a note of what time of day it gets better. Its sometimes hard to test. I was picking up various Australian stations and some Asian (hear some other languages but I think possibly all were from Australian stations dedicated to certain countries.

I'll write again hopefully soon.

db1
Message from Calico at Saturday, 26-Mar-11 16:20:42 GMT
OK, we all hope that you get your antenna adjusted and we are here if you'd like to swap ideas either about your Ewe or other.
Tim
Message from db1 at Tuesday, 29-Mar-11 07:47:58 GMT
I've swapped the pot and everything round. This antenna is running right along side a metal fence. It is about 1.5 to 2 metres from it, and there are some other metal objects right next to parts of the antenna. No doubt these are having an effect on the azimuth plot (If I had one:) ) . When I first put the antenna up I tested it before evening, so it was receiving towards daylight, and I was hearing ssb ships from Europe....i.e. obviously coming in from the darker side of the antenna and still coming in very well even though the antenna was to cut rear signals down.

It definately was still doing it's stuff though, as noise was added or taken away from the signal when I adjusted the pot. I think this was the daylight side noise rising when I turned the pot, becasue as far as I remember it happened likewise with Canadian ssb signals (although they are a bit off the side of the direction behind). I am not sure if the rear signal level fell or not, but the ratio definately changed i.e. forward signal to back signal.

A tiny bit of water has been getting into the boxes I have the connections in, so I will fix that up when I get round to putting a relay switch in.

db1
Message from db1 at Saturday, 28-Jan-12 07:19:50 GMT
Hi again. Its been a long time since I have done anything concerning the EWE. I went away for a month and had to cut my cables from the antennas to my radios. I am about to get back to moving the EWE back to its original location (North pointing) and see if I can possibly put some kind of switch (relay) outside too to allow me to point it South as well. We have been doing some gardening lately, so its a bit easier now to get at places. When I start again, I'll write up my results again.

db1
Message from db1 at Tuesday, 31-Jan-12 13:05:06 GMT
Just cleared the area where the EWE is located just now. I might give it another go at that position before taking it down but I will first have to check all of the parts are not water damaged. I might also do a bit of experimenting with extra wire and see if there is any difference for this location (as it runs lengthways, a metre or so away from a metal fence).
Message from db1 at Friday, 03-Feb-12 14:20:42 GMT
Ok, I checked the containers housing the potentiometer and un-un (balun) and noticed some water droplets in one. I might give it a closer look another day and see if anything needs cleaning or replacing. I did a quick hook-up of the coax to another piece that connects to the radio and have been trying it in its current (and not best) position i.e. next to a metal fence. Daytime has been noisy mainly 9mhz and down but 12, 13mhz nice. Nightime, I have been enjoying great 13mhz signals all night/morning, as well as being ok down the bands.

I never had the same success with the antenna in it's current location as I did when it was north or south facing (in better position) although have had some good surprising utility results. The other position was running hot. This is possibly due to directions as well.

Will update this when I get the plastic tubes to concrete into the ground and the wooden poles that will be able to be put in and out when needed.

db1
Message from db1 at Wednesday, 15-Feb-12 06:43:15 GMT
Still no work yet. Also, been having a problem with local radio interference from a repeater mw tower.
View page:  <  1  2  > 

© 2007-2018 Ivo Smits, UCIS Internet - About GlobalTuners & Contact - Page generated in 2 ms. 0 SQL queries used.
We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. Click here for more information.