Don't like advertisements? Neither do we. Check out our Premium Membership to support GlobalTuners and get rid of the advertisements!
Message from blinds122000 at Wednesday, 12-Jan-11 12:27:57 GMT
Hi

im currently looking at the icom 1500/2500
and just wanted know whether the powersdr
software will run with the icom

thanks
alex
Message from tkruczek at Wednesday, 12-Jan-11 22:21:41 GMT
Hi Alex. Not that I'm aware of. I've had the
pcr-1500 for 4 or 5 yrs now as well
as PowerSDR/IF for my K3 for the last yr+.
Also, Ham Radio Deluxe does not support the 1500/2500
either (FYI). But the software ICOM includes
is pretty good.

Tom / W1TXT

Message from Calico at Wednesday, 12-Jan-11 22:40:11 GMT
About 2 years ago, I had posted to Global Tuners a couple of write-ups about using (forcing really!) PowerSDR to provide *any radio* with DSP capabilities.

Had experimented looking for ways to avoid buying Icom's AF level DSP (UT-106)here both with PCR-1500, and R-8500 online GlobalTuners as well as a portable Sony ICF-7600GR.

It was lots of fun working out a way of escaping Icom's extra charges for one more bell and whistle.

It won't be as serious DSP of course as real SDR DSP (FlexRadio, SDR-IQ) etc, because the way I got it to work was at AF level, not core level. However, the UT-106 doesn't work at IF level, either!

I described the whole process back in 2009, and you can find all the detailed ins-and-outs including photos at:

http://www.globaltuners.com/forum/thread.php?tid=462

Once more: This "route" is not designed for the PCR-1500/2500, it will not be fast and seemless as on a real SDR radio, so if you do lots of tuning up and down the bands, this may be irritatingly slow, despite being costless. ;)

Good luck
Tim

Message from blinds122000 at Wednesday, 12-Jan-11 22:42:47 GMT
Hi Tom

thanks for that, whats the 1500
like on hf, ive noticed the
1500 doesnt have a rf gain setting to
control the sensitivity,
how do you find it?

cheers
alex
Message from tkruczek at Wednesday, 12-Jan-11 23:09:59 GMT
Tim and others, please chime in on this one as you've played with lots of radios.

IMO, the R1500 is "okay". It's not that sensitive from an s-meter perspective anyway. However, I can hear any station with it that my HF rigs can hear. Bottom line is when radios are made to be so broad, you do lose things - especially in selectivity.

Depending on your finances, how you're going to operate the radio (for example w/ a PC or just w/the control head), frequencies you want to operate on, etc., should all go into your decision process.

If I was going to do it again, I think I would go with a Perseus from Microtelecom. Pretty darn good specs, but it's mostly an HF rig and does cost more too.

Tom
Message from Calico at Thursday, 13-Jan-11 00:53:59 GMT
Yep, ditto what you say Tom re 1500. Does what it says on the tin, especially for HF that Alex seems interested in.

As for RF Gain,it would be good if it had, but not even R-8500 has RF-Gain in the scanners line of Icom.

Suppose the only way sensitivity issues can be approached with PCRs is various combinations of AGC control along with ATTENUATION control.

For HF, in my opinion too, the PCR is an adequate general purpose radio, I like the IF-shift capability (SSB/CW), however as Tom points out, not suitable for high expectations re selectivity etc.

However, it may be worth mentioning that the PCR2500 does not have dual receive capability for LF/MF/HF but only for VHF and above.

Tim

PS/Edit Reviews Summary for Icom IC-PCR1500 Communications Receiver at :
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6040

Last edited by Calico at Thursday, 13-Jan-11 04:26:37 UTC
Message from blinds122000 at Thursday, 13-Jan-11 11:48:44 GMT
cheers guys

regarding the powersdr software
can i just plug in any receiver into
my line in on my computer and use the
software as a audio filtering?

Unsure what reciever or sdr software i want

basically im looking for a decent receiver
that has RF gain, and can scan that
and is under £500 thinking the icom r75
might be the answer.

i have a dx394 at the moment

cheers
alex
Message from tkruczek at Thursday, 13-Jan-11 13:10:19 GMT
Take a look at something like the SDR-IQ, but I don't have any real experience with it. Tim may, though.

Tom
Message from Calico at Thursday, 13-Jan-11 19:28:42 GMT
Hi Alex

-Before you make any costly decisions, why don't you download PowerSDR, test it with your existing radio, see if the previously described process of making use of PowerSDR is satisfactory for your operating needs, and only then take it from there.

-Because you haven't mentioned at all so far what your intended use of the radio is, it's difficult to suggest any ideas. If you tell us what kind of signals, frequencies, antenna to be used, the radio will be used for most of the time, it will be easier for people to be more useful.

-Fortunately, Pacific DX, operates on a R-75, and Tom's node operate on PCR-1500, probably you must have already tested both radios.

-R-75 is going to be a serious indeed upgrade from the RX-394, and you can upgrade it with filters etc as and when you wish.I suspect if you are used to the RX-394, the R-75 will be an easier transition for you.

However, although a very good radio, it's already more than 10 years old technology.

-It may be an idea to also read as much as you can about any shortlisted rigs, including manuals, remote control capabilities, RF-performance comparison tables, users comments.

To get you started:

R-75 Manual: http://www.rigpix.com/icom/icr75_manual.pdf

R-75 Review: http://www.mwcircle.org/mw_rec_icomicr75.htm (*)

R-75 Users' comments (65 of them): http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/427

R-75 RF-performance:http://www.sherweng.com/table.html (scroll down)

(*) ARRL also has good, scientific reviews

Happy $$$hopping

Tim

© 2007-2018 Ivo Smits, UCIS Internet - About GlobalTuners & Contact - Page generated in 3 ms. 0 SQL queries used.
We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. Click here for more information.