Don't like advertisements? Neither do we. Check out our Premium Membership to support GlobalTuners and get rid of the advertisements!
View page:  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  > 
Message from PA5M at Sunday, 13-Feb-11 16:49:34 GMT
Guys,

Be patient it is all in the making.
I have ordered all equipment and need some time to put it together.
When ready I am happy to share pictures or even Youtube.
But the best thing will be another FMDX node!

On the power supply for the Sony XDR-F1HD radio.
In the mail I have ordered the item as seen at http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=64.
Only $12.99.....
Didn't believe my eyes on this price and will only believe it when I open the package...lol.
Did you know Andy can still deliver the phaser boxes, even after so many years?!
Message from Calico at Sunday, 13-Feb-11 20:51:57 GMT
Ha-ha, no rush, take your time! :)
Thought you had already been using the Bolin box in the recent past, hence the interest in any YouTube fun!
Had come across Bolin's work in the past and similarly here have been phasing with the DX-Engineering NCC-1 box but for other bands and frequencies of course.

Nice to see your approach regarding powering of the XDR.
Some XDR radios have been lost in the past in 220V areas because of the 17% difference in frequency of 220V and 110V (translated to lots of extra work and excess heat...) seems to have been overlooked and unfortunately approached only by voltage step-downs, CPU fans that were treating the symptoms but not the problem.

I am using a different route to yours, but we both end up involving 12 VDC and not 50 Hz.
73 es gd dx
Calico
Message from PA5M at Monday, 14-Feb-11 08:25:53 GMT
Hi Calico,

The item to replace the 110V internal power supply is also based on 12V DC input.
So no need for a fan running inside the radio :)
Perhaps you can explain your sollution on the the internal power supply replacement?

I spoke with Andy on the phaser box.
I had a question for the future.
If we are fully going to DAB in Europe, then the frequencies will be higher.
This means the phaser box has to be adjusted accordingly.
Again all for future thoughts!

Take care,

Michael
PA5M
Message from Calico at Monday, 14-Feb-11 17:26:23 GMT
Hi there Michael,

Yes 12V in, 10.5V and 5.2V out for the D905 and D701-704, such a neat job.

But the XDR is such a cute little darling, (it surely has to be female!) that I didn't have the heart to start modifying it, so I opted for an inverter, 110V 60Hz true sine.

Left it for something like 7 hours on receiving Classic FM, slightly hot, about the same as body temperature. What lovely audio through some microlab amplified speakers.

Had never come across a radio before that doesn't have any Volume adjustment, but maybe clever Japs have set the audio to its optimum level where audio amp produces no distortion. Even at full external volume setting, no distortion perceivable, very clever! :)

As for DAB, yes, you are right!
Are you into DAB Dx-ing already ?

Tim (Dorset, UK)
Message from PA5M at Monday, 14-Feb-11 18:43:31 GMT
Haha Tim,

Be careful if you start treating electronics as a female ;)

Did you thought of doing the LF modification?
I am thinking of it, but first need to hear the audio after I adjusted the power supply.
As soon as I see the radio I will be taking it apart...no mercy for the lady!

Planning to add a little (internal) LF amplifier so can have a speaker attached to it.
If you come across a LF amp (+/-7W at 4/8 OHm) please let me know.
Also considering to take out the buttons and put it separately from the radio for easier control.

Ideas enough for a while...

73e Michael
Message from Calico at Monday, 14-Feb-11 21:29:48 GMT
"No mercy for the lady" ha-ha, Miss XDR-F1HD, you'd better look out, lol !:p

But before you take her to pieces, consider an adaptor from 2x RCA to 3.5 mm stereo socket and then feeding the audio to LG MSP-100.

These are some amazing little folding twin Stereo speakers whose audio is amusingly impressive, fantastic fidelity, rich sound, and get recharged via the USB port of your laptop, etc.

They are good lookers too, the same color as the radio, and with a 90' charge you get 10 hours of music!
Dimensions: 9cm folded, or 16 cm long when opened and covered in polished metal you can use them as a rear-view mirror too! :-)

I have several old RCA adaptors for Sat-TV audio so connected the LG mini speakers with the XDR.
The audio was as good as it gets, and what's best? It's only £ 10 on Amazon, yeaaah ! :-)

P.S. Although the XDR has enjoyed enthusiastic reports by many a folk, I am not absolutely sure if that's the right DX radio for me.
I have been spoiled by SDR technology and the fact that this radio has only 100 kHz VHF steps, no attenuator, no serious MF antenna connector for MW Dx (i.e. IBOC) makes me wonder if I'll keep it or if it will go. The radio thinks it's cleverer than the user, and it makes all decisions on its own. This means that stations (e.g France Bleu) that I can receive with a PCR-1500, I cannot receive with the XDR. So in case I don't keep it as just an FM tuner and it goes, it may be a good idea not to start DIY-improvements as it will lose value.

Links for illustration purposes for any Sony interested fans:

1) http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-MSP-100-Folding-Speakers-connections/dp/B001KP2S9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297717313&sr=8-1

2) http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-Socket-Phono-Plugs/dp/B0009N1MV4

Keep us posted Michael, I like your way of thinking on radios.
Tim
Message from PA5M at Wednesday, 16-Feb-11 19:15:33 GMT
Hi Tim,

I just remembered I do have a pair of computer speakers with build-in amp available and separate low and high control. So let me try this first and see if I like it.
What I also could do is to hook it up to my SP-2000 speaker wich has the BHI-DSP build-in (1)thus also an amplified LF signal.
Quiet interesting to hear how this will help!
Have a look on their page and check out the samples which some of them are based on FM modulation.

As for the value of the radio...the new value is already low so don't think I will loose much if I sell it (which is not going to happen soon). Due to the improvements it will last very long with me I would think.

1. http://www.bhi-ltd.com/index.php/products/item/amateur-radio-installs/nedsp1062-kbd-installs.html
Message from Calico at Wednesday, 16-Feb-11 19:40:52 GMT
Hi there Michael,

If this is the Yaaesu SP-2000, it seems to be one very good speaker scoring 4.9/5 with eham.net, it should give good audio output for the XDR. Of course it won't be very much portable. I don't have this speaker, I suppose it can also boost high frequencies for when DX needs it ?

Had a look at the BHI-DSP, yes looks interesting. I once was considering getting their FT-857 mike mod, but so far it's not happened.

Michael, when your XDR arrives (when?) I would be interested in seeing your first A/B comparison tests with some other radio for DX-ing. What will you compare it against by the way?

Tim
Message from PA5M at Wednesday, 16-Feb-11 20:51:58 GMT
Hi Tim,

Yes indeed it is the SP-2000 speaker. It has a build-in cut-off filter so handy if you want to hear only the high part on LF.
I am not planning to move the radio much around then just for dusting the table :)

For my FT857 I use a modified Drake headset with a Heil HC-4 element which works super even when I am play most of the time the DX-station...hi.

I do own a modified Sangean ATS-909 so this will be a good radio to compare it with.
This Sangean works perferct in my view so it will be a battle.

73e Michael
PA5M
Message from Calico at Thursday, 17-Feb-11 09:59:00 GMT
Ok, if you are not taking the XDR to places, then the SP2000 should be great.

Here I do not dare raise antennas, I am near the center of the town, all the good Samaritans will start hissing and spitting!

Yes, the HC-4 is the right element for punching through the static, not as full as the HC-5, but just what's needed for dx. Unless it's a YL operator in which case their voices are even better than the HC-4. ;-)

Good luck with matching the impedance of all components in the signal chain from antennas to XDR and / or Sangean. I don't know the ins-and-outs of the Sangean re. VHF antenna input (if any?) and its impedance, but it's good that it has got 50 kHz steps, unlike the XDR.
We will be waiting for your first results/impressions then, Michael, congratulations on your new gear, enjoy!
73 es gd dx
Tim
View page:  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  > 

© 2007-2018 Ivo Smits, UCIS Internet - About GlobalTuners & Contact - Page generated in 4 ms. 0 SQL queries used.
We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. Click here for more information.